Acupuncture is also an effective option in treating torn rotator cuff as an alternative to, or after, surgery. A tear can successfully heal with the combination of therapies including acupuncture.
Does acupuncture help torn rotator cuff?
Acupuncture is commonly used for musculoskeletal disorders, and it has been suggested as a meaningful nonsurgical intervention for managing shoulder pain and dysfunction. Manual therapy is also commonly used in the management of rotator cuff tears.
What is the best treatment for rotator cuff injury?
How is a rotator cuff injury treated?
- applying hot or cold packs to the affected shoulder to reduce swelling.
- exercises to restore strength and range of motion.
- injecting the affected area with cortisone, a steroid that helps to reduce inflammation.
- resting the affected arm and wearing a sling to isolate arm motions.
Can acupuncture help shoulder injuries?
Acupuncture helps relieve pain, reduce inflammation, release tight muscles, and increase range of motion for a variety of shoulder problems. Other modalities like electroacupuncture, cupping, gua sha, moxibustion, heat lamp therapy, and herbal liniments are often used in conjunction with acupuncture for shoulder pain.
How can I heal my rotator cuff faster?
5 Tips to Speed Your Recovery from Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Wear your shoulder immobilizer or sling. …
- Participate in physical therapy. …
- Eliminate pain medication as quickly as possible. …
- Avoid certain shoulder positions and arm movements. …
- Don’t rush your recovery.
What happens if a torn rotator cuff goes untreated?
If left untreated, a rotator cuff tear can severely restrict function and range of motion. The tears can also increase over time. This may cause partial rotator cuff tears to progress to total tears.
What happens if you don’t fix a torn rotator cuff?
Without any treatment—either rest and rehabilitation or surgery—rotator cuff disorders may get worse. Over time, you may have more pain. You may lose range of motion and strength in your shoulder, making it harder to do your daily activities.
How can I heal my rotator cuff naturally?
3 Little-Known Ways to Help Your Rotator Cuff Heal Faster
- Take nutritional supplements. Some experts advocate taking nutritional supplements to help a rotator cuff tear heal. …
- Stop smoking. If you have surgery for your rotator cuff tear, then you should stop smoking. …
- Change your sleeping position.
Is acupuncture good for shoulder bursitis?
Acupuncture or physical therapy are bound to provide quick relief against bursitis. While it is relatively simple to treat bursitis, it is better to prevent it. Avoid repetitive movements or at least take regular breaks during your work or hobby.
Can you lift weights with a torn rotator cuff?
If you have a rotator cuff injury, get ready to let those weights rest a bit at the gym. You should avoid lifting weights above your head or out from the sides of your body. These movements can cause more stress and even further injury to the area.