Retrograde Massage: Massage can help reduce swelling. Massage gently using a water-based moisturising cream. To start, massage down all your fingers in one direction starting at your fingertips. Then massage up your palm through your finger spaces and down the back of your hand and forearm finishing at your elbow.
How do you massage your own wrist?
Use your open palm, fingertips or knuckles of the opposite hand and slide your hand from your wrist to your elbow. Use gentle pressure and increase the pressure as you are able to tolerate while you rub up and down your forearms.
How do I reduce swelling in my wrist?
Try to keep your wrist above the level of your heart. This will help reduce swelling. Put ice or cold packs on your wrist for 10 to 20 minutes at a time. Try to do this every 1 to 2 hours for the next 3 days (when you are awake) or until the swelling goes down.
Should I massage my wrist if it hurts?
Arm and Hand Massage Techniques
In addition to stretching, massage therapy is an effective way to ease wrist pain, hand pain and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Should you stretch a sprained wrist?
A wrist sprain usually occurs during an accident that is not preventable. However, when you are doing activities such as rollerblading be sure to wear protective wrist guards. You may do stretching exercises 1 through 5 when the sharp wrist pain goes away.
What helps swelling go down fast?
Applying an ice-pack or cold compress to an injury is the fastest way to deal with immediate swelling. It helps reduce swelling by restricting blood flow to the area and slowing down cellular metabolism. Cold therapy systems and ice baths are other methods you can use to apply cold to the area.
Why would one hand swell and not the other?
Hand swelling can be caused by relatively minor conditions, such as fluid retention during premenstrual syndrome or pregnancy. Swelling can also be due to injury or trauma, infection, inflammatory conditions, and other abnormal processes.
How do I stop severe wrist pain?
For a recent injury:
- Rest your wrist. Keep it elevated above the heart level.
- Apply an ice pack to the tender and swollen area. Wrap the ice in cloth. …
- Take over-the-counter pain medicines, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. …
- Ask your health care provider if it’s OK to wear a splint for several days.
How do you relax your wrist muscles?
Stretching exercises for the wrists
- Rotate your wrist up, down, and from side to side. Repeat 4 times.
- Stretch your fingers far apart, relax them, then stretch them again. Repeat 4 times.
- Stretch your thumb by pulling it back gently, holding it, and then releasing it. Repeat 4 times.
How can I improve my wrist pain?
If you have sustained a wrist injury, you can help promote healing by:
- wearing a wrist splint.
- resting your wrist and keeping it elevated.
- taking a mild pain reliever, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- placing an ice pack on the affected area for several minutes at a time to reduce the swelling and pain.
How do you heal a sprained wrist fast?
To speed the healing, you can:
- Rest your wrist for at least 48 hours.
- Ice your wrist to reduce pain and swelling. …
- Compress the wrist with a bandage.
- Elevate your wrist above your heart, on a pillow or the back of a chair. …
- Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. …
- Use a cast or splint to keep your wrist immobile.
What does sprained hand feel like?
What Are the Symptoms of Wrist/Hand Sprains? Immediate pain in the wrist or hand after a direct blow or twist. Pain and stiffness with movement or activity in hand and wrist.